Here’s what to expect:
Novice drivers start the day with bus ride around the track, stopping in each corner to describe the features, and most important the racing line. Then all drivers attend a safety briefing, during which we explain the safety rules, flag meanings, passing protocol, and introduce novice drivers to their instructors. Following that we head out on track … all drivers in the 70 kph warm-up session, and then each individual group at speed. Novice drivers require an instructor in the car with them until they demonstrate the necessary skills to be safe and are signed off to drive solo. Groups rotate during the day according to this schedule or this schedule. Novice drivers also receive classroom training on the optimal driving line, physics as it applies to managing tire grip, and how to plan corners to improve overall performance. And lunch is provided by our sponsor Subway. Participants can expect approximately two (2) hours of scheduled seat time.
Here’s a list of the basic requirements to participate:
– VALID DRIVERS LICENSE. You do NOT require a competition license for our events. A Class 5 Graduated Drivers License (GDL) is acceptable; however, minors (under the age of 18) must also have signed parental consent forms. »more on waivers
– SAFE, TRACK-WORTHY VEHICLE INSPECTED IN ADVANCE OF THE EVENT. Please note the following:
– “TRACK-WORTHY” generally means a sports car or sport coupe or sport sedan that will stand up to the rigours of track driving. Brakes, suspension and tires are much more important than horsepower. Purpose-built race cars, including open-wheel cars, are welcome. Convertibles, cabriolets, and open-top cars must have structural rollover protection … if you do not know what this means, please contact us BEFORE registering. »more on convertibles. Trucks, SUV’s, SAV’s and other high center of gravity vehicles are NOT permitted. Heavily-modified vehicles (horsepower increases, motor swaps, etc.) can be unreliable »more on vehicle suitability
– “SAFE” goes hand-in-hand with “INSPECTED IN ADVANCE“, meaning you need to download the Track Junkies self-tech inspection form found at www.trackjunkies.ca/self-tech.pdf prior to each event and verify the condition of each item on the form. Vehicles must be inspected separately for each event — photocopies of previous inspections are not acceptable. This inspection requirement is not meant to be onerous or cost-prohibitive for the average motorsport enthusiast … the term “self-tech” means you may perform the inspection yourself if you have the required knowledge and tools. If you do not have the technical knowledge or tools required, or are you not willing to take the time to properly inspect each item, please have the vehicle inspected by a licensed Automotive Service Technician with knowledge of the rigors expected in road course driving. »more on inspection requirements
– BRAKE FLUID must be less than six months old on event date. »more on brake fluid
– APPROVED HELMET. “Approved” means the helmet bears a Snell certification of M2005 (motorcycle) or SA2010 (motorsport) or SAH2010 (motorsport w/ HANS anchors) or newer. ALL Snell-approved helmets bear a Snell rating sticker that includes the testing protocol (M, SA or SAH) and certification year (minimum 2010), typically found by lifting up the helmet liner (you should not need to remove any glued portions of the liner to view the sticker). We also accept international ECE and FIA certification standards, but these are less common in North America. We have a limited number of approved open-face rental helmets for novice drivers, but we can NOT guarantee we have the right size for every head … so owning your own helmet or borrowing a properly-sized helmet in advance is prefered. »more on helmet requirements
– NOVICE DRIVERS must take instruction their first time out (additional $100 fee) and complete a checkout ride before being permitted to solo. This is for the safety of the novice driver as well as for the safety of other drivers the novice will share the track with. »more about instruction »more about our solo driving criteria
– TIME ATTACK COMPETITORS must be pre-approved before they can register for timed lapping. »more about Time Attack pre-approval criteria
– EVENTS GO RAIN OR SHINE … no refunds for inclement weather.
– REGISTRATION is ONLINE at trackjunkies.motorsportreg.com.